UND Law Review symposium focuses on domestic violence and sexual assault
The North Dakota Law Review will host a one-day law symposium focused on domestic violence and sexual assault at 8:00a.m., Thursday, Nov.8, in the Baker Courtroom on the third floor of the University of North Dakota School of Law building.
All lectures are free and open to the public.
Throughout the day, panelists and speakers will examine various law issues related to domestic violence and sexual assault.
Complete symposium schedule:
- 8:00 a.m. Opening Remarks and a personal experience with domestic violence, Karen Hippen
- 8:30 a.m. Recent developments in the Chinese Legal System in response to violence against women, Robin Runge, Assistant Professor, UND School of Law
- 9:30 a.m. Affects and implications of intimate partner violence on ethical mediation practice, Kristine Paranica, Director, Conflict Resolution Center, University of North Dakota
- 10:30 a.m. The "New Choices" offender treatment program, Lloyd Rath, Coordinator of the New Choices Program, Community Violence Intervention Center, Grand Forks, N.D.
- 11:30 a.m. The value of networking and the use of "danger assessments" related to domestic violence, Glen Hase, Legal Advocate for Cass County and Duane Sall, Lieutenant, West Fargo Police Department
- 1:35 p.m. Issues presented in United States v. Cavanaugh, Janice Morley, Attorney
- 2:35 p.m. Civil legal responses to domestic violence in Indian Country, Michelle Rivard Parks, Attorney and Associate Director of UND Law Tribal Judicial Institute
- 3:35 p.m. Research on three approaches to violence risk assessment: clinical judgment, structured professional judgment, and actuarial assessments, Troy Ertelt, Clinical Psychologist, Assessment and Therapy Associates of Grand Forks, PLLC
- 4:35 p.m. North Dakota's United States Attorney's Office's Anti-Violence Strategy for Tribal Communities, Tim Purdon, United States Attorney for North Dakota
- 5:35 p.m. Closing Remarks
Rob Carolin, UND School of Law, director of alumni and public relations, firstname.lastname@example.org , 701.777.2856