- Tribal Judicial Institute
- Tribal Court Assistance Program
- Conferences / Training
- Resources / Publications
- Contact Us
Northern Plains Indian Law Center
Tribal Environmental Law Project
The mission of the Tribal Environmental Law Project is to confront "environmental injustice" in Indian Country.
Environmental injustice describes the reality that residents of Indian reservations often bear a disproportionately high risk of environmental pollution.
The Project is devoted to ameliorating such injustice by:
(1) Providing legal and policy assistance to tribal governments developing environmental programs intended to protect the health and welfare of tribal citizens, tribal natural resources, and the quality of reservations and ceded lands;
(2) promoting communication among people affected by natural resource development in, and environmental pollution of, the territories of Indigenous peoples in the world; and
(3) providing opportunities for law students to work with tribal governments developing environmental programs.