CANCELED: A Celebration of Title IX: Past and Future — Gender Equality in Education and Sports
Friday, March 27, 2020
UND School of Law, VandeWalle Courtroom
This event will commemorate the advancements women and girls have made in education and sports over the past several decades, as well as a look ahead to continued progress. Title IX is the federal statute ensuring equality for women and girls in all educational programs receiving federal funding (including K-12 and higher education). The event is part of the celebration of Women’s History Month. It is also part of a series on gender equality by ERA NOW leading up to the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution establishing women’s right to vote.
The event is co-sponsored by ERA NOW, SBAND Women Lawyers Section, UND Sports Law Student's Association, UND International Human Rights Organization.
This program has been approved for 2.5 North Dakota CLE credits and 2.5 Minnesota CLE credits.
Registration Deadline - March 24 or until filled (the event is free, but space is limited)
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Professor Julia Ernst at firstname.lastname@example.org
11:00-12:00: Registration and Taco Bar Lunch
11:55-12:00: Announcement by Lisa Fair McEvers, North Dakota Supreme Court Justice
12:00-12:05: Welcome by Michael McGinniss, UND School of Law Dean
12:05-1:00: Documentary Film - License to Thrive: Title IX at 35
1:15-3:00: Panel Discussion
Moderator: Susan Solheim, Judicial Referee and President of the Women Lawyers Section of the State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Stephanie Arniel, current UND law student, legal extern with UND Athletic Compliance, and board member of the Sports Law Student Association, will discuss her interests in the field of sports law.
- Terry Brenner, Superintendent of the Grand Forks Public Schools, will discuss the advancements for girls and young women in both educational opportunities and sports in K-12 schools.
- Travis Brewster, Head Coach of the UND Fighting Hawks Women’s Basketball Team, will discuss the importance of women’s athletic opportunities at the collegiate level.
- Tammy Oltz, Assistant Professor and Thormodsgard Law Library Director, will discuss the legal and statutory context regarding Title IX.
- George Schubert, Professor Emeritus and former Dean of the University College & Summer Sessions, UND School of Law Adjunct Professor teaching Sports Law, and UND Faculty Athletics Representative to the NCAA, will discuss historical aspects of Title IX.
- Allyssa Wall, a clerk for the U.S. Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and former UND basketball player, will discuss her experiences as a student athlete and the benefits of athletics to women and girls.
3:00-3:05: Closing by Gracie Lian, UND Student Body President
Register To AttendThis event has been canceled due to the decision by UND to move to remote instruction from March 23 - April 3.