Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees for the school year are listed below. The semester fees include a law school professional fee, student activity fee and University fees for general benefits available to students, such as student health services, wellness center, drama, athletic events and campus publications.
|North Dakota Resident||Minnesota Resident||Contiguous Resident||Non-Resident|
|Cost Per Credit||$440||$659||$659||$1,318|
|Mandatory Fees Per Credit||$57||$57||$57||$57|
|Total Per Credit||$497||$716||$716||$1,375|
- Law tuition is billed per credit with no cap. Mandatory fees are billed $57 per credit, capped at 12 credits.
- Rates: Rates include mandatory fees but do not include flight costs/aviation, study abroad, music lessons, marching band, student teaching or select physical education course rental expenses. Mandatory fees will be billed at $57 per credit (fall) and $71 per credit (spring). Tuition and fees are subject to change for the 2019-20 academic year.
- On-Campus Students: Tuition and fees will be capped at 12 credits per semester. Semester-based online courses are included in the 12-credit tuition cap and will be billed based on your residency rate.
- Online Programs: Tuition is charged per credit regardless of residency. Online tuition is not capped at 12 credits per semester, however, an online student's mandatory fees are capped at 12 credits per semester.
- Questions: If you have questions about your tuition rate, email tuition@UND.edu.
Educational expenses include those costs recognized as being necessary for a student to pursue an education. The following table gives an estimate of those expenses for the school year.
Additional Costs for all students
|Books & Supplies||$1,000|
|Room & Board||$8,600|
Other Tuition Rates & Fee Information
Active Duty Military (applicable for undergraduate students only)
All active duty military members using federal Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits are eligible for a tuition rate of $250 per credit for undergraduate courses and programs. The tuition rate will be billed at the program’s rate and will be adjusted to the active duty military rate after the student submits the Tuition Assistance Form each semester.
The active duty military rate is not valid for any Aerospace, Engineering, Graduate, Law and Medical Programs or self-paced, enroll anytime online courses. However, all active duty enrolled in these programs/courses will receive the North Dakota in-state tuition rate. Students can still use their TA benefits by submitting their TA forms to One-Stop Student Services. We also encourage students to apply for other scholarships.
Veterans & Dependents
Regardless of actual residency status, the following qualify for the North Dakota in-state tuition rate for on-campus programs:
- North Dakota National Guard Members
- Members of Armed Forces Reserve component stations in North Dakota
- Dependents (spouses/children) of the above
- UND-contracted ROTC cadets also receive in-state tuition rates.
Mandatory fees support costs that are associated with services, activities, facilities and infrastructure that support students outside the classroom. Fees are required for on-campus and online students.
These mandatory fee amounts are included in the tuition costs listed above.
- UND Student Fees - $678.12 per semester (max, fall), $846.12 per semester (max, spring)
- Technology Fee - $72 per semester (max)
- Connect ND Fees - $66 per semester (max)
- NDSA Fee - $0.48 per semester (max)
Additional fees may be assessed for new incoming students, flight costs/aviation, study abroad, music lessons, marching band, student teaching expenses or select physical education course rental expenses.
New Incoming Student Fee
All incoming undergraduate students will pay a one-time, nonrefundable new incoming student fee ($200) to cover the costs of services and events such as New Student Orientation, Welcome Weekend and the U Card (student ID). The fee will be assessed with their first-semester tuition costs.
Incoming graduate, law, medical, collaborative, LAUNCH and non-degree students are exempt from the new student fee. UND employees who begin an undergraduate degree program will be charged the new student fee.
Auditing a Class
Fee for auditing a class (taking for no credit) will be 50% of the regular, per hour tuition charge of the same course. Mandatory fees are not charged.
Continuing Enrollment (applicable for graduate students only)
For graduate students finishing their dissertation or thesis, a Continuing Enrollment fee is billed at $100 per credit hour; regular tuition is not charged for Continuing Enrollment credits and mandatory fees are not charged; not eligible for financial aid.
A collaborative student is one who is earning their degree from UND and chooses to enroll in courses at another North Dakota University System (NDUS) institution within the same term. The institution from which the student is earning a degree is considered the "home institution." The institution(s) that supplies courses for a degree is considered the "provider institution(s)."
The student pays tuition/fees at their Home Institution for the Collaborative Courses. The cost information is received from the Provider Institution. This additional amount will be included on the student's account balance at UND. Collaborative courses are not subject to the UND tuition cap.
Changes to tuition and fees are governed by State Board of Higher Education (SBHE) Policy 805.1 and 805.3. Waiver of mandatory fees is governed by SBHE Policy 820.