Email 7: May 19, 2021
Hello Class of 2024 –
I hope everyone is doing fantastic today! It’s a gorgeous 85 degrees outside so I am one happy individual.
Two items I want to share with you today:
- Residency Information – If you are a US citizen and from a state other than North Dakota, you may be interested in establishing residency in North Dakota for tuition purposes. You may be eligible to change your tuition rate to the in-state rate for your 2L and 3L years if you complete the required steps below. This is optional and not required of any student.
To establish residency in ND, you need to physically reside in ND and obtain a ND driver’s license for 12 consecutive months and complete a Tuition Application before tuition rates can be changed for any consecutive year. Information required for residency is listed below along as well as a link to the ND Century Code and UND’s residency webpage (https://und.edu/one-stop/tuition-fees/residency.html#nd-1)
- To provide proof of ND residency, students must submit both:
- A valid ND Driver’s License issued one year prior to your tuition application date.
- Proof of residency that verifies your (at least) 12 months of residence in ND (i.e. utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage statement). If the student’s name is not printed on the document, it cannot be used for proof of residency for tuition purposes.
- If you graduated from a North Dakota high school, you qualify for in-state tuition. If any other tuition rate is listed on Campus Connection, please let us know.
- If you are a veteran, or a spouse or dependent of a veteran, you may qualify for in-state tuition. You would need to complete paperwork with the Veteran & Military Services to receive this tuition waiver.
The DMV requires an appointment to obtain a driver’s license. Appointments can be scheduled up to 75 days before. To be eligible for tuition changes, you would need to complete residency requirements no later than August 20, 2021. To schedule an appointment please visit https://www.dot.nd.gov/
- Gavel Story: North Dakota Rural Recruitment Program – I wanted to share some exciting news about a new program that will be starting in North Dakota after the passing of SB 2233 by the North Dakota Senate and House. You can view the article here - https://viewer.joomag.com/spring-2021-gavel/0892545001620910443?short&(page 20) – learn more about the opportunity to receive tuition assistance after law school for attorney’s who choose to practice in a rural area of North Dakota for at least five years.
Have a great rest of the week!
Director of Admissions
University of North Dakota School of Law
School of Law, Room 140F
215 Centennial Drive, Stop 9003
Grand Forks, ND 58202-9003
P: 701.777.2260 - F: 701.777.3895