First-year photo instructions
Every year, UND School of Law creates a photo directory of the first-year class. The directory is used internally by law faculty and staff to connect names with faces.
Instructions for submitting your photo
- Using a cell phone or camera, take a headshot photo (framed from the chest up). Please see the suggestions and samples below for assistance.
- Save the photo labeled with your last and first name (ex. smith-john).
- Send a jpeg file, at the highest resolution version available, directly to Beth Moe, Director of Alumni & Public Relations, at beth.moe@UND.edu no later than August 1.
- Please contact Beth Moe at beth.moe@UND.edu or 701.777.2856 with questions.
NOTE: Your photo will only be used for the first-year law directory. It will not appear anywhere else.
Photo Recommendations and Tips
- Photos should be framed from the chest up.
- Look directly at the camera.
- Face should be clearly visible, in focus, and facing forward with eyes open – no profile shots, tilting head, sunglasses, or hats.
- Please dress in business casual attire.
- Please be professional - don't include any personal belongings, hands, other people, pets, props, etc.
- Photo should be in color.
- Background should be white or a solid color. Please no outdoor or pattern backgrounds.
- Lighting is important.
- Avoid windows and lighting in the background.
- If possible, have a light source in front of you to help light your face.
- Avoid heavy flash that can wash out the photo or give you red eye reflection.
- Beware of shadowing.
- A similar photo is required for your U Card. Feel free to use the same photo for both submissions.
Recommended Photo Examples