Class of 2023 - week 20 email
Hello 1L’s –
We have arrived to our last weekly email!! We are 4 days away from Orientation Convocation and 12 days away from the 1st day of classes. This year has proven to be an interesting one with lots of challenges, unknowns, and frustrations; however, I can confidently say, that if we’ve all made it this far, we can make it through this semester together! I’m so excited to see/meet each and every one of you, and I hope you are excited too (it’s okay if you’re a little nervous too).
This email is filled with lots of final reminders, updates and reassurances for when you feel like you’ve hit a wall and need a reminder that we have got your back and we are here for you!!
- Photo reminder: Each year the law school creates a photo directory book for staff and faculty. Since we are unable to take your photos on campus this year, we need your help. Instructions and how to submit your photo can be found HERE. Please have them sent to Rob Carolin (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Thursday, August 20, 2020.
- U Card reminder: Your student ID card should be ordered as soon as possible. You can access the online form to order your student ID card HERE. Yesterday I shared an email letting you know that you can have it sent to the law school and we can get it to you if mailing to your address isn’t an option. Your U Card gives you access to the law building/law library outside of regular office hours, printing, bookstore charging and pick up, and more.
- Summer Reading for Orientation & Lawyering Skills Reminder: Earlier today I emailed all of you an email the Lawyering Skills faculty sent out yesterday to all UND email addresses. Make sure to read that. Additionally, there was the summer reading email from Professor Ernst. You can access that one HERE.
- COVID testing reminder: Dean McGinniss sent an email to all incoming and returning students about COVID testing. It is attached above for anyone who may not have read/received it.
- Parking Permits: Don’t let the parking police catch you! Get a permit before parking in lots or be sure to use other options like PassportParking if you don’t have a pass.
- Masks reminder: Masks are required when on campus for classes/events.
- During Orientation Week and throughout your time at UND Law, we will be using BlackBoard to relay important information to students. Please see the following message from Pam Shea, Director of Student Life, about BlackBoard. (Your faculty will use BlackBoard throughout the year too.):
Students in the Class of 2023 have been added to a community site on BlackBoard. Student will be able to access a variety of information during orientation and throughout their time at UND Law on the Class of 2023 BlackBoard site.
To log in, use your North Dakota University System (NDUS) identifier, which you also
use for CampusConnection and your email, to log in to BlackBoard. Once logged in, click on Community along the top green navigation bar
School of Law – Class of 2023 should be listed under your “My Organizations”. If it is not, please contact Pam Shea, Director of Student Life, at pam.shea@law.UND.edu
2. Orientation Week – Update from Dean Parrish below and attachments have been added to the email (Orientation Schedule and Leader Bios):
Good afternoon, incoming 1L students –
Because of some delays in upgrading the teaching technology in some of our classrooms, I needed to make some adjustments to the Orientation Schedule. Aleisha has attached the revised schedule to this email, and here are the notable changes:
- With the exception of the International Center presentation on Monday, all Monday and Tuesday sessions will now be held at the Chester Fritz Auditorium;
- All Wednesday sessions will now be held via Zoom; and
- All Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday sessions will be held in the afternoon (except for the International Center presentation on Monday).
I understand the last change I mention above may cause some inconvenience for some of you, and I apologize for that. I did not make these changes lightly because I know some of you have made plans based on the schedule we previously provided. If you have concerns that you’d like to discuss with me, please feel free to contact me directly.
- Books: Books have been an obstacle for many. Please do your best to purchase your books from the UND Bookstore, or other options like Amazon or directly from the publisher, etc. We have let the faculty know that there have been lots of backordered items and/or extended shipping dates. One of our 2L students has books that he is wanting to get rid of, pay close attention to ISBN numbers but if interested, check out the attachment and he has shared his contact information.
- A message from your Lawyering Skills faculty:
“If you have attempted to purchase your Lawyering Skills I books at the UND Bookstore, you may have found that the Bluebook and the Understanding and Mastering the Bluebook texts are backordered. You should not purchase an earlier edition of these books in lieu of the editions listed on the required book list. Only the current editions (2020 editions) will be useful to you. Further, waiting to purchase these two books will not cause any problems as you will not be using these two texts in the first few weeks of the semester.”
3. Finally, you got this! You have made it to the last few days before the start of Orientation! Take a deep breath and remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!!